Northern Lights Classic Voyage and Ice Hotel 2021
CORONAVIRUS STATUS UPDATE (12.07.21): There are 7 ships sailing the Norwegian coastal voyage route for local access and freight transport. Further sailings for other ships are being considered to start later in 2021. The size and scale of the restart is dependent on national and international travel restrictions, government support and other external factors outside of Hurtigruten's control. Visitors from Ireland must quarantine in an hotel in Norway for 10 days.
A great value Classic Hurtigruten Voyage South combined with an extraordinary overnight stay in either a Snow Hotel or a luxury Gamme Cabin.
2020 (price for ref) from: €1995 pp (plus taxes) sharing (2021 price to follow soon)
Activities: Not included – optional tours and excursions available on ship
Destinations: Arctic, Fjord Norway
Season: February & March 2021
Types: Northern Lights Holiday, Short Break Holiday, Norwegian Coastal Voyage, Fjord Cruise, Couples, Groups, Solo Travelers
BOOK WITH CONFIDENCE Offer: Book a NEW Hurtigruten voyage for travel in 2021, 2022 or 2023 to qualify. Cancel for ANY reason in the future and you'll get your deposit (less a small cancellation fee) back within 14 days. Book by 30 April 2021. (T&Cs apply)
See Hurtigruten’s online brochures to discover more about their destinations, their ships and life on board during a Norwegian coastal voyage.
Note: we will update prices and offers on this site when regular sailings resume. In the meantime, please ask us for a quotation.
Day 2: After breakfast you will be transferred to the Hurtigruten ship where you stay for 5 nights on a full board basis. You will be allocated your cabin in the category of your choice on boarding. After you drop off your bags you will probably have time to leave the ship and explore the town of Kirkenes before departure.
Days 3-6: Enjoy the amazing scenery as the ship heads south. A variety of tours and activities are available at stops along the way. These may be booked in advance via Project Travel (recommended) or on the ship.
Day 7: Arrive in Bergen in the early afternoon when you will be transferred to a central quality hotel where you stay for 1 night on a B&B basis.
Day 8: Make your way to Bergen Airport for your flights back to Dublin (easy coach trip – full details provided, pay locally).
14, 15, 21, 25 & 28 February 2020
2, 7, 9 & 13 March 2020
Alternative departure dates possible but may require additional night(s) in Oslo to meet flight schedules. Changes to the cost will apply.
2020 (Price for Ref only) Adult: from €1995 pp (plus taxes) pp sharing. (2021 season prices to follow soon)
Single Supplement: on request.
Prices correct at time of print (Jan 2020). E&OE. Subject to availability at time of booking. As they are a natural phenomenon, seeing the Northern Lights is not guaranteed.
- Return flights Dublin/Norway
- One 20kg checked bag per person
- Transfer from Kirkenes Airport to Snowhotel
- 1 night half board in either Kirkenes Snowhotel or Gamme Cabin
- Transfer from Snowhotel to Hurtigruten ship
- 5 nights full board Hurtigruten voyage in an unspecified Inside Cabin
- Transfer from Hurtigruten ship to Bergen hotel
- 1 night B&B in a central Bergen hotel
- Full information pack including maps, tips on photographing the Northern Lights, advice on what to wear, etc.
- Meals other than as stated
- Air taxes from €58 pp
- Airport transfers in Bergen (easy coach trip, full details provided)
- Winter travel insurance (required)
- Optional excursions and tours
- Single supplement
- Outside unspecified Cabin upgrade – see PDF for starting prices
- Add extra night(s) in Kirkenes before your voyage (priced on request)
- Add extra night(s) in Bergen after your voyage from €95 per person sharing
- Stopover in Oslo before/after the voyage
- Add a trip on the Bergen-Oslo Railway plus extra nights in Oslo after the voyage
Alternative departure dates possible, but may require additional night(s) in Oslo to meet flight schedules. Changes to the cost will apply.
For the best chance of seeing the Northern Lights you need to be above the Arctic Circle between October and early April. You also need to be under the Northern Lights Oval, the ring that circles the Magnetic North Pole. They tend to show best between 8pm and 2am.
Northern Norway is one of the only easily accessible and habitable Northern Lights locations in the world situated under the Aural Oval. Despite scientists’ best efforts, no correlation has been found between the 11 year solar cycle and observations of the Northern Lights within the Oval. The Oval extends further south during the peak solar cycle, allowing the Lights to be seen in more areas, but the solar cycle itself does not increase the frequency or intensity of showings.
Image credits: Kirkenes Snowhotel, Ian Forsyth / Hurtigruten